Sunday, August 10, 2008

A wedding and a village

Our latest travels took us to the capital of our country, which was just about a 4 hours drive away. And that meant 4 hours into a drier climate, more temperate temperatures, and seeing even more of this adopted country of ours. We went to go to a wedding of my language helper (who has left me to go live with her husband on the west coast of our country...what's up with that!!). I wish I could describe what a good friend this woman was to me this past year. She was truly hungry to know what I know, but also such a beautiful friend and helper to me in this new language. Here are a couple of pics....


This next one is the bride being pinned with gold coins. These are the gifts from family and friends. The picture is a little dark...sorry!

And a few more pictures can be viewed on the album below:
Esra's Weddingt


From the wedding we went on to a mountain village to do a little learning, a little resting, and a little fleeing from the heat. This adventure took us back to what living in Uzbekistan felt like, and that felt good. Slower pace, livestock, and outdoor toilets (using the word a bit freely, mind you), and no running hot water! Actually, in Uz when we did have water, we could get it hot if we wanted to :) We also did some 'ruin hopping' while there. No shortage of that in this country! Check out the album below to view more of our time in Sogut:
Sogut


And just for fun...

"Um, honey, this is a little bit more than just a fixer-upper..."



"So, your saying I'm gonna need a bigger shovel..."

1 comment:

Sarah said...

heh heh! I love your photo captions. I can just hear you cracking up as you wrote them!!

Followers

Powered By Blogger